Saturday 13 September 2014

Beating To The Bush Before Launch Of The Ironic Fantastic Issue #3

Beating about the Bush on 3 September
Well, here I am two weeks after I went to see Kate Bush perform on 3 September at the Hammersmith Apollo. Right from the start until the end, the crowd were engaged, not only with Kate but also by the amazing set design and special effects that left you craving for more surprises. A short technical hitch, an hour into the first set, couldn't dampen the excited crowd's spirits. Kate made sure we, her fans, didn't missed out. The show continued for an additional half an hour. With an 11pm curfew at the venue, Kate's management team must of paid a fine to allow the show to run in its whole entirety.

The whole event was a musical extravaganza, that not only led the fans through a personal journey with Kate, but was also a unique theatrical experience. Her 16 yr old son Bertie, who allegedly influenced her to tour, also performed throughout the show. Perhaps Kate timed her return around Bertie being at an age where he could participate too.

Kate's triumphant return at 56 has now set the standard high on how future live music events should be delivered. Her blend of raw music talent and creative choreography made the crowd feel like they had travelled back in time to 1979, when she last performed and in the same venue. It was the music highlight of 2014 for me and the special effects topped those used in Roger Water's The Wall at the O2 back in 2013. Considering the size difference of Hammersmith Apollo, compared to that of the O2, it was a great creative use of space within a small venue and I wait now with baited breath to see if Kate will return for another tour in the near future.

Three other significant events took place over the last few weeks:

I was interviewed on Oystermouth radio over the Bank Holiday weekend, where I promoted my two poems and a short story which are featured in the Ironic Fantastic anthology issue #3. I also got to select a few of my favourite songs, including one by Kate Bush in between. You can listen to the interview by clicking on this link

I have had two of my poems and a short story featured in the Ironic Fantastic issue #3. The anthology is packed with some amazing international emerging writers, poets and illustrators. It was edited by my talented writer friend Paulo Brito, also known as Oulipo Brat (an anagram of his name). You can download it for free by clicking on this link

Finally at 2am, early this morning, the Duffin clan saw a new arrival when my brother Malcolm's partner Ceri gave birth to a baby girl, Erin Duffin. I am now a proud Aunt to a lovely little girl and her two year old brother, as well as continuing my role as Auntie Fi to my oldest brother Douglas's three grown up boys. I was only 21 when I first became an Aunt, how time flies. It feels like it was BEFORE THE DAWN.

2 comments:

  1. A great day/night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paulo I wish I could of put you in my rucksack and taken you along! It was a really intimate and enjoyable experience. The special effects and props were astounding. Buy the DVD when it comes out (I will be).

      Delete